This is a new addition to the family repertoire - but not much of a risk: Blueberries and sour cream always make for a moist and tasty cake. I neglected to make two - one lasts just an hour or two around here! (Jane)
Blueberry Sour Cream Cake
4 oz. (125g) butter
1 cup sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
Grated zest of 1 lemon
10 oz. (300 ml) of sour cream
1 teaspoon lemon juice
7 oz. (200g) fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350F. Prepare an 8 inch round cake pan.
(To prepare pan: take a piece of greaseproof paper and put baking pan on top. Go around the outside with a pencil and cut out circle. Take a dab of butter onto left over greaseproof paper and grease inside of pan. Add in a tablespoon of flour and shake around. Put in the precut circle of greaseproof paper.)
2. Cream butter, sugar and grated lemon rind (i.e use mixer beaters at low speed - or the back of a spoon - to force the sugar into the butter until soft and smooth).
3. Add eggs one at a time. Beat well after each addition.
4. Using a large metal spoon fold in sifted flour and bicarb of soda into butter and sugar mixture until just combined.
5. Fold in sour cream and lemon juice.
6. Spoon half of the batter into prepared baking ban. Add half the berries. Add remaining cake batter and remaining berries. Swirl berries into cake mixture.
7. Bake for around 50 minutes or until toothpick inserted into cake comes out clean.
8. Optional: dust with powered sugar and serve warm with your favorite cup of tea or coffee!