Australia has more than three times as many sheep as people, and the second largest flock on Planet Earth. So, yeah, you grow up eating a lot of those woolly buggers over there. That gamey craving haunts your dreams (Peter).
Lamb Kebabs with Creamy Mint Sauce
2 or 3 pounds lamb (we use boned lamb legs from Costco)
1/4 cup (60ml) lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
4 cloves garlic, crushed
3 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons marjoram/thyme, chopped
2 teaspoons mint, chopped
Creamy Mint Sauce
2/3 cup sour cream
2 or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
6-8 tablespoons fresh mint, chopped
1/2 jalapeño, chopped very fine
1. Trim lamb of excess fat and sinew (some will burn off on the barbeque). Cut across the grain into chunks 1.5" square.
2. Soak your skewers in hot water (they'll last longer before burning if soaked through).
3. Whisk all marinade ingredients together and add to meat - cover all the morsels. Let set for 2/3 hours - or best overnight (acceptable to wait just 15 mins in a pinch).
4. Prepare the mint sauce:
Combine all ingredients then test for flavor. Adjust as needed.
5. Cook the skewers, ensuring the middle is still pink. Brush (or re-dunk) with the marinade once or twice while cooking.
6. Spoon sauce over lamb in main serving dish, or allow diners do it them bloody selves.
7. Serve with chipotle rice and salad, and wash down with a coldie fresh from the Esky.