The best Southeast Asian ingredients all in one. Everyone's favorite spicy soup (Gus).
Tom Yum Soup
1. Juice the limes, peel the garlic, slice the chilies very thinly, and grate the ginger. For lemongrass, peel and throw out the outermost layer and slice thinly. Tear the kaffir lime leaves to release the flavor.
2. Cut the tomatoes and white onions into relatively large wedges.
3. Boil the water in a large cauldron. Throw in the lemongrass, ginger, kaffir lime leaves, garlic, and chilies. Put the lid on to speed up the process. Once boiling, set timer for 10 minutes
4. Turn the flame to low. Don't worry about peeling the shrimp - leave that for the masses. Add to the broth.
5. Next, add the mushrooms. No need to cut unless they are exceptionally large.
6. Now, add the tomatoes and onions.
7. Bring back up to a boil for 3-4 minutes to soften the onions, mushrooms, and tomatoes. Be careful not to overcook the shrimp.
8. Next, add fish sauce and sugar. The proper amount is 1/4 to 1/3 of the bottle. Boil for another couple of minutes
9. Turn off the heat and taste test. Enough fish sauce? Probably not. It should be sour and salty. Add sugar and lime juice if needed. Then throw in the cilantro, and it's time to eat!