A nice accompaniment to any Indian dish (credit: Women's Weekly "Indian Cooking") (Jane).
Indian Cardamom Rice Pilaf
2 tbsp ghee or vegetable oil
2 teaspoons cardamom seeds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
2 curry leaves, torn
1 chilli, finely chopped
3 cups basmati rice (thrice washed and drained)
4 cups chicken stock (or water and 2 teaspoons salt or bullion cubes)
1/2 cup pistachios (optional)
2 tablespoons finely chopped mint leaves
1. Heat ghee in saucepan and cook cardamom seeds - stirring - until they begin to pop.
2. Add onions and cook till soft.
3. Add garlic, ginger, curry leaves and chilli and cook, stirring, until fragrant.
4. Add rice and cook, stirring, for a minute or so.
5. Add stock, bring to boil, reduce heat, simmer - covered tightly - for about 20 minutes or until rice is just tender and all liquid has been absorbed.
6. When done, fluff rice with a fork, stir in pistachios and mint and serve.