Fish curry with coconut milk is perfect for the pescetarians in your family (Jane).
Coconut Fish Curry
2 pounds white fish cut into 1" cubes (cod works well)
2 medium onions
3 cloves garlic
1" ginger root, grated
2 tablespoons oil - canola, vegetable or coconut
3 teaspoons ground coriander
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons turmeric
2 teaspoons garam masala
1 - 2 chilies finely chopped or 1 tablespoon of sambal oelek
1 can coconut milk
small tin of chopped tomatoes or 3 - 4 fresh tomatoes, skinned and chopped
3 - 4 potatoes - cubed
8 oz of green beans chopped into 1" pieces
other vegetables in season eg. eggplant
1/4 Tbsp fish sauce (optional)
1 tablespoon of sugar
juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
salt and pepper to taste
cilantro for garnish
fruit chutney eg mango to serve
Rice - brown rice preferable, cooked in a rice cooker.
1. Put rice on to cook - if using brown rice it will take a little longer.
2. Chop onions. Grate ginger and crush garlic.
3. Heat oil in pan - add onions and sauté for 4 - 5 minutes. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for another minute or two.
4. Add spices and chili and stir until aromatic.
5. Add coconut milk, tomatoes and half a cup of water.
6. Add potatoes and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add other vegetables in the order of how long they need to be cooked.
7. When the vegetables are just cooked add the fish. Add lemon/lime juice and sugar, salt and pepper, fish sauce if using,
8. Adjust seasoning: salt, pepper, maybe a little lemon juice if it needs it (it usually does). Add some cilantro if you have it.
9. Once it's all cooked, scoop the rice and serve cilantro and mango chutney.