This is a step up from the basic banana cake with crushed pineapple added making it sweet and moist. A favorite of the café scene, it is best served when you have a crowd - as it doesn’t keep well without refrigerating. (Jane)
3 cups of plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup of light oil e.g. canola
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
8 oz. (250 g) tin of crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
2 generous cups of very ripe (i.e. black) mashed banana (about 4 – 6 bananas depending on their size
1 cup of chopped pecans plus extra for decorating if desired
For cream cheese icing
8 oz. (250 g) cream cheese
4 oz. (125 g) butter - softened
1 teaspoon vanilla (or a couple of teaspoons of lemon juice if preferred)
10 oz. (300 g) icing sugar (powdered sugar)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F (180 C).
2. Prepare two 9” (23 cm) cake tins. Grease with butter or margarine, dust with plain flour and shake our excess, and line with grease-proof paper.
3. Put flour, baking soda, sugar and cinnamon in large mixing bowl and combine with a whisk.
4. In another bowl whisk oil, eggs, and vanilla.
5. Add liquids to flour mixture and mix until just combined.
6. Mix in mashed bananas, crushed pineapple in juice, and chopped nuts. Don’t over mix.
7. Divide mixture evenly between two tins.
8. Bake at 350 F for about 50 minutes until cooked when tested with a skewer.
9. Leave for a few minutes before removing from pan. Cool before icing.
10. Prepare icing: Beat softened butter and cream cheese until well combined.
11. Add in icing sugar in batches. Add vanilla or lemon juice.
12. Put one cake on to a flat plate or aserving plate and cover with icing.
(If top is not perfectly flat put the top side down - so the bottom or flat side is on the top under the icing)
13. Carefully place other cake on top – flattest side down. Use remainder of icing to cover top and sides.
14. Decorate with pecans if desired.
15. Serve with coffee or favorite tea!
Note: If you have room in the refrigerator, cake can be kept there for a few days. You might like to bring to room temperature before serving. It is a very moist cake and will not keep well without refrigeration.