Everyone needs a coleslaw recipe. But not one with mayonnaise - one that's light and tangy and a perfect accompaniment for any BBQ. I credit my godmother, Maggie Beadman, for the inspiration for this version (Jane).
5 cups very finely shredded green cabbage
2 cups of very finely shredded red cabbage
2 - 3 grated carrots
1/2 red onion chopped finely
Cilantro or parsley finely chopped - a good handful or two
1 jalapeno finely chopped
1/2 red pepper chopped finely (peppers are mostly banned in our family as Peter doesn't like them but in my dream version of coleslaw I would add half a red pepper)
1 clove of crushed garlic
1 tablespoon minced ginger
1/3 cup rice vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
pepper to taste
1. Make the slaw: combine all ingredients in large bowl.
2. Make the dressing: combine all ingredients and shake well.
3. Pour dressing over slaw. If you can let the ingredients sit for around 10 - 15 minutes before serving so that all the flavors can melt together.
4. Enjoy with your BBQ feast! Henry is a fan of mixing his coleslaw with chipotle rice and whatever meat we've cooked!
5. Left overs will keep in the refrigerator to enjoy another day - but it does tend to pickle a bit. Still good though!