Subheading 1. Two or three smoked pork (ham) hocks boiled gently in half a pot of water for 90 minutes or so. Remove, strain, place stock in fridge overnight, scoop off fat before using. Cut up meat from pork hocks and add to soup at the end.
Scoop fat off the top.
2. Cut off beet tops and bottoms, scrub very well to remove dirt (don't peel), trim crusty brown bits from around tops, add to stock and boil for 15 mins or so. Remove, let cool a bit. Leave stock boiling gently.
3. Cut potatoes into 3/4 inch cubes or so and add.
4. Cut carrots into 1/2 inch pieces (or a bit smaller) and add.
5. Peel beets, halve cross-ways if large, cut into straws (~1inch x 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch or a little bigger).
6. Add tomato puree/sauce.Add juice of 1 lemon and add.